Freitag, 18. Mai 2012

Blogger´s Quilt Festival Spring 2012

Welcome to all, my regular visitors and all those who made the jump from Amy´s site to mine - thanks for dropping by, and thanks to Amy for hosting once again this amazing festival which always makes me finish something (nothing like a little pressure...).

The quilt I want to share with you today started out as the Civil War Diary quilt by Rosemary Youngs, but even when I started it I knew I didn´t want such a huge quilt. So I stopped after I had sewn 1/3 of the blocks. Then last year there was Barbara Brackman´s Civil War Quilts Block of the Week, and I started sewing those, with a faint idea of combining those two projects even though the blocks had different sizes. So I framed the CWDQ blocks with blue, added red cornerstones and combined everything into an on-point layout.
The inner border is a strip of scrapped off-white and cream-coloured fabrics, and I have written most of the Gettysburgh Address on it. I don´t know when I had this idea, but somehow it seemed just perfect. I have always admired this speech, not only for the noble sentiments it expresses but also for the elegant rhetorics.
 I then quilted the whole thing with feathers. Each block contains two curved feathers, and there is an endless feather around the whole border. I tried to take a picture of the back, but white-on-white quilting doesn´t really show that well.
 I finished it yesterday evening and I am still discovering threads to be snipped every now and then.
Well, if you have read this far, thanks again for looking in, and why don´t you just go back to Amy´s and have a look at all these fantastic quilts on display?

Kommentare:

cauchy09 hat gesagt…

oh, what a lovely sampler! and Abe is one of my favorite presidents. great quilt!

quilthexle hat gesagt…

You finished it yesterday ??? Oh my ... can't wait to see it in real! Looks like another stunning quilt from you ;-)) congratulations on finishing it!

memmens hat gesagt…

Wow, how fantastic to have only just finished it! Well done!

CitricSugar hat gesagt…

Very cool. I love how much thought and time you put into this.

Plus, Abe Lincoln. I'm Canadian but I still think that guy was awesome.

Jitka Oherová, Czech Repubic hat gesagt…

Good job. I have never made a sampler quilt.

Sarcastic Quilter hat gesagt…

I LOVE it! I'm such a sucker for history that I'm surprised I haven't succumbed to these civil war quilts yet but I have a feeling it's coming. Your quilt is just a bit of inspiration pushing me over the edge...

Sarcastic Quilter hat gesagt…

I LOVE it! I'm such a sucker for history that I'm surprised I haven't succumbed to these civil war quilts yet but I have a feeling it's coming. Your quilt is just a bit of inspiration pushing me over the edge...

Janet hat gesagt…

Wow this is an amazing quilt! I love that you put the Gettysburg address around the border strip. That's the kind of thing I like to do on a quilt. I think it adds so much interest to include words on a quilt.

desertskyquilts hat gesagt…

Great way to combine projects and to put the quilt together. Thanks for putting the link in Barbara's comments.

Eileen hat gesagt…

lovely quilt! how fun to combine as you did. fantastic. nice quilting you've done, also. thanks for sharing and have a great day

Sandra hat gesagt…

Great job, such a charming sampler.

Come see my entries 64 (repro. applique) and 85 (antique appliques).

Queenie Believe hat gesagt…

This is a wonderful civil war quilt. You have combine the blocks beautifully.
Have a great day.
Always, Queeie