Samstag, 29. Oktober 2011

Blogger´s Quilt Festival

 Hello and welcome everybody that has dropped by from Amy´s blog, welcome to all other visitors and thanks to Amy for once again hosting this fabulous event (and making me finish at least two quilts every year - it is a phantastic incentive!)
I had been planning and collecting fabrics for a red applecore quilt for ages. The template was bought many years ago, and for my summer vacation I set myself the challenge to finally make that quilt. A challenge it was, and I hated nearly every step of the way. I also learned an awful lot every step of the way, I hate to admit, and one fine day I might even attempt a second applecore quilt, then omitting all the mistakes I made the first time. The quilt is machine-pieced, and when the the top was nearly done, I actually started enjoying the process, having figured out my best way to do those seams. The quilting was done half by machine, with the feed dogs up, in spirals and using the distance-keeping thingy (lesson learned: that screw sometimes gets loose, thus reducing the distance between the sewing lines), half by hand, also doing spirals (the hand-quilting isn´t quite finished, actually, on the photos you can see the areas that will have to be quilted down). 

Even sewing on the binding wasn´t as easy as I had imagined since whenever I moved across a valley in the edge, the foot kind of slipped off the edge, thus leaving me with a seam allowance that was too narrow. So I had to go over most of the valleys twice. The backing is pieced from several pieces of hand-dyed green fabrics, an ancient rose print and an equally ancient apple print. All said, I´m still pleased with that little quilt because it made me move out of my comfort zone and I am also a bit proud because I didn´t give up on it although I often felt tempted to so so.
Thanks again for dropping by and enjoy the festival!


Kommentare:

christhequilter hat gesagt…

I LOVE apple core quilts, and yours is fantastic.

thank you for sharing

nd even the back is interesting

Pat hat gesagt…

Cool quilt!

paulette hat gesagt…

WOW!! I absolutely LOVE this quilt...and the way you have quilted it is the icing on the apple core!! Brilliant!
Paulette

sewfrench.com hat gesagt…

I'm so glad you didn't quit! It's beautiful. The hand quilting really makes it pop! I love a red quilt. I'm planning one, myself, right now!

Jolanda hat gesagt…

Adorable quilt, and what an an achievement!

Deborah O'Hare hat gesagt…

This quilt is yummy!
Yummy colour.
Yummy texture.
I love it.

fallingforpieces hat gesagt…

Amazing! Worth the pushing through in the end! It's just stunning.

Bea hat gesagt…

Dein Quilt ist auf dem Foto fast so schön wie in echt.

Aber ich wäre auch neugierig auf deine neue Heritage Tweed Jacke. Kommt da auch noch ein Foto im Blog?

Grüßle, die Bea

cauchy09 hat gesagt…

wow, this is gorgeous! all those reds are sumptuous.

karenfae hat gesagt…

beautiful - I have thought to make an apple core quilt and never have.
Karen

Vicki @ DottyJane hat gesagt…

Well done! It's a beautiful quilt!

Quiltycat hat gesagt…

I love it...colors, pattern, quilting...all! Great!
nichi

Rachaeldaisy hat gesagt…

It's beautiful, such wondeful colours and the pattern is beautiful!!

Editfolt hat gesagt…

Greetings from Hungary. I love the abstract pattern .. Staple the beautiful

MARIKA hat gesagt…

Very nice work thanks for the quilt for division.

quilthexle hat gesagt…

Toller Quilt !! Niemals hätte ich "sowas" mit der Maschine genäht - Respekt ! Und ich hoffe doch mal sehr, Du stellst ihn 2012 in Nürtingen aus ??

ale balanzario hat gesagt…

I love this quilt, very well done, I love your hand quilting.

diane hat gesagt…

love the colors and your hand quilting

AnyoneCanQuilt hat gesagt…

Your apple core quilt is beautiful!! You've done such a wonderful job, and I love the quilting is just perfect!! x

Dirt Road Quilter hat gesagt…

What a wonderful quilt! I just love all of those happy red fabrics and I applaud you for tackling that binding! That looks scary, but isn't it fun when we look back and realize that we've not only accomplished something, but learned something new in the process? I really like the apple print on the back and your hand quilting. Well done! Leben Sie in Deutschland? Ich war in Frankfurt geboren.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts hat gesagt…

Your quilt is beautiful. What an accomplishment. The hand quilting is wonderful!

Marit hat gesagt…

Fantastic quilt! I love the colors, the intricate pattern from the applecores, and the quilting is soooo lovely!
Thank you for sharing

BunkHouseQuilts hat gesagt…

I am so glad you didn't give up! Its beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!

Eileen hat gesagt…

Beautiful. Those reds and the backing are just so vibrant and wonderful. Tha ks for sharing and have a great day

Teje hat gesagt…

Hi! Your quilt is fantastic! I love the pattern, colours and the quilting! Thank you for sharing and giving us a lovely moment with that beautiful quilt!
x Teje

The Thompsons hat gesagt…

What a fun quilt- it looks great!

felicity hat gesagt…

What an absolutely fantastic quilt! Good for you to keep with it. Thank you for sharing!

Jean Cheszek hat gesagt…

What a fun, delicious quilt. Thanks for sharing it. (Trying to do that scalloped binding would have made me crazy.)

Jessica hat gesagt…

This quilt is lovely. I'd love to see the next one you make~

hanna hat gesagt…

Hi, ich habe Urlaub und bin gerade am Stoffe kaufen, suche vorwiegend Jersey Stoff. Dein Blog gefällt mir sehr gut, tolle Ideen.

Kit Lang hat gesagt…

Stunning! Thanks so much for sharing. :)