Sonntag, 30. Oktober 2011

Die anglophile Schwäbin im Herbst .../ The anglophile Swabian in the autumn...

 ...geht natürlich in die Schlehen. Auf die Wacholderheide. Mit ihrem treuen Hund, der ab und zu auch eine Schlehenbeere abkriegt. Schehen hab ich schon früher dieses Jahr gepflückt, natürlich nach dem ersten Frost, und 500 g liegen schon im TK-Fach. Ich hatte die etwas schattenhafte Vorstellung, dieses Jahr mal Schlehenlikör anzusetzen und hatte schon mal Rezepte gegoogelt, mich aber noch nicht entschieden. Und dann kam der Donnerstag. Donnerstags kommt immer Die Zeit, und im Zeitmagazin gab es ein schönes Rezept für Sloe Gin. Ein Zeichen, sicherlich! Also hab ich heute nochmal ein halbes Kilo geerntet. Das Rezept verlangt nach Gin und nach echtem Kandiszucker (bis dahin war mir nicht bekannt, dass es auch falschen gibt); die Schlehen werden alle einzeln mit einem Zahnstocher angepiekst, der Ansatz verbringt unheimlich viel Zeit an einem Ort, der warm (25° - das wird ein Problem) und dunkel ist und wird immer wieder liebevoll durchgeschüttelt. Warum ich das alles machen will. ist mir auch nicht ganz klar; ich führe ein meist abstinentes Leben. Aber wahrscheinlich ist auch hier der Weg das Ziel - es findet sich dann sicherlich jemand, der das Zeug auch trinkt.
...goes out into the heathland to harvest sloes. Of course after the first frost. Two expeditons have resulted in one kg of sloes that are now in the freezer, awaiting their final destination in helping me prepare my first batch of sloe gin. This is a very intricate process - my recipe tells me to prick each of these berries with a toothpick so they can give up all their goodness to the gin they will be soaked in. This concoction then will have to be stored in a warm and dark place, be shaken regularly and takes ages to become ready to be drunk. This is a process-orientated project - I very rarely drink alcohol, and never anything stronger than wine or the occasional glass of champaign. Stay tuned for irregular updates!

Samstag, 29. Oktober 2011

Blogger´s Quilt Festival

 Hello and welcome everybody that has dropped by from Amy´s blog, welcome to all other visitors and thanks to Amy for once again hosting this fabulous event (and making me finish at least two quilts every year - it is a phantastic incentive!)
I had been planning and collecting fabrics for a red applecore quilt for ages. The template was bought many years ago, and for my summer vacation I set myself the challenge to finally make that quilt. A challenge it was, and I hated nearly every step of the way. I also learned an awful lot every step of the way, I hate to admit, and one fine day I might even attempt a second applecore quilt, then omitting all the mistakes I made the first time. The quilt is machine-pieced, and when the the top was nearly done, I actually started enjoying the process, having figured out my best way to do those seams. The quilting was done half by machine, with the feed dogs up, in spirals and using the distance-keeping thingy (lesson learned: that screw sometimes gets loose, thus reducing the distance between the sewing lines), half by hand, also doing spirals (the hand-quilting isn´t quite finished, actually, on the photos you can see the areas that will have to be quilted down). 

Even sewing on the binding wasn´t as easy as I had imagined since whenever I moved across a valley in the edge, the foot kind of slipped off the edge, thus leaving me with a seam allowance that was too narrow. So I had to go over most of the valleys twice. The backing is pieced from several pieces of hand-dyed green fabrics, an ancient rose print and an equally ancient apple print. All said, I´m still pleased with that little quilt because it made me move out of my comfort zone and I am also a bit proud because I didn´t give up on it although I often felt tempted to so so.
Thanks again for dropping by and enjoy the festival!