Montag, 1. November 2010

Blogger´s Quilt Festival - Fall 2010


 Amy´s Creative Site is once again hosting a really cool event, the Blogger´s Quilt Festival.


The quilt I want to share today is a scrappy, of course, completely made from stash, in a wild mixture of store-bought and home-died fabrics. It started out as a BOM, but after three months, when I still hadn´t figured out what I could do with the intended size I decided not to  do the original 100 blocks but only 48. I also decided to add a border, or maybe two. If you look closely there is one border on the right side, and the other three sides got two borders. With the all-around border I had ample space for my lasting love affair with appliqué. Everything was cut without template, making use of all the green scraps floating around. And then, a long break. How to quilt that thing? I finally decided on a dramatic feather, a fern at the bottom, right next to the appliqué fern fronds (tribute to the provider of the actual Twiddletails Geese in the Forest BOM). The Flying Geese of the 48 blocks were quilted with straight planty things in two different designs. Finally I pebble-quilted everything that seemed to cry out for it. The binding was done in red scraps.  Oh, before quilting, I added circles and spirals, big-stitched with pearl cotton, on an additional layer of batting. The final touch were red bubbles, left over from my Spring Festival entry and picking up again the circles and spirals theme. Again, all this was done without templates or tracing.
What did I learn? Don´t do appliqué as the last step on a quilt because it isn´t fun! With all the batting and the back you just can´t crunch enough material into your hand to needle-turn in a comfortable way. 
The quilt was finished in time for a programme at the Black Forest Quilters Guild, called First Quilt and Last Quilt, but I had to cancel because my daughter got shingles. So, this is its first public appearance. I hope you like it!
Thanks to Amy for this great event.


 

Kommentare:

Quiltbenaco hat gesagt…

E' bello,
rappresenta bene una foresta,
mi sa che per me è un ottimo spunto,
mi spiace per tua figlia,
so cos'è l'erpes-zoster.
Ciao dall'Italia
Domenica

Melody hat gesagt…

Your quilt is amazing. I love it. Cute kitties on your header too.

Lynne hat gesagt…

This is so fabulous - I love the mix of the flying geese and the whimsy - it leapt off the page at me in thumbnail but is even more beautiful when you see it more clearly.

quiltilicious hat gesagt…

I love quilts made from scraps, including this one!

mascanlon hat gesagt…

Wonderful quilt, I love the asymetrical borders!

Shelly hat gesagt…

It's great, and your quilting is fabulous!

Miri hat gesagt…

Fabulous quilt! I just love the applique border spreading over the patchwork! Brilliant design!

I like the quilting too!

sie tut es auch hat gesagt…

puuuh, der ist aber toll!!!!
ich hab auch noch ein paar dieser grünen blöcke bei mir liegen ;o)
ob das jemals mehr werden ?!

Joanne hat gesagt…

Love it ... so original and creative !!!

Rose Hughes hat gesagt…

the quilt is beautiful - lively and inviting - and your cats are wonderful, too!

Barb in Mi hat gesagt…

It's a beautiful quilt and a neat combination of geese and applique!

nanann hat gesagt…

I also pulled this pattern from Twiddletales, but must admit it hasn't gotten past the "I have the pattern" stage. Your quilt is great, and I love what you've added to it!

Brenda hat gesagt…

Great quilt, the quilting is lovely.

Ann Marie hat gesagt…

It's incredible what you've done with that BOM. (I never got past downloading the Twiddletails patterns.) I love the layers of borders and applique and quilting methods. Good job!

Marg hat gesagt…

It is a beautiful quilt, I love how you have combined the flying geese and your beautiful applique. Very creative.

Katie hat gesagt…

Beautiful quilt! I love how you've combined a more traditional flying geese with the funky applique.

quilthexle hat gesagt…

Congrats to a lovely quilt! I just love how you combined Flying Geese with applique. And your quilting ... WOW. Glad I got to see this beauty in real life - and I think it would be nice if more people could see it ... hanging in a show ;-)) How about it?